Roasted tomato and cumin soup
- 1kg ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large red chilli
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon roasted and ground cumin seed
- 500ml vegetable stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons sheep's milk yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted almonds
- Preheat oven to 160 - 180?C.
- Slice the tomatoes in half and place them in a large baking pan.
- Drizzle over the olive oil and roast for about 1 hour or until they are a little dried and caramelised.
- Peel the onions and garlic and roughly chop with the chilli.
- Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat; add the oil then the onion, garlic and chilli and fry until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cumin and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and stock and simmer until all soft, about 10 minutes
- Puree in a food processor or blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve cold with a drizzle of sheep???s milk yoghurt and a sprinkling of roasted almonds. It is also delicious served hot.
Back to top