4 small chicken breast, skin removed
2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons dry sherry or white wine (optional)
1 bay leaf of bouquet garni sachet
700g mixed veggies of choice (carrots, cauliflower, leeks, cabbage, asparagus, baby corn, peas)
2 teaspoons cornflour
2 tablespoons low fat milk
2 tablespoons chopped mixed herbs (parsley, thyme, oregano, marjoram) or 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
Freshly ground or cracked black pepper, to taste
6 sheets filo pastry
Olive or canola oil spray
- Preheat oven to 200oC. In a large covered pan, slowly poach chicken breasts in chicken stock, sherry and bay leaf for 15 -20 minutes depending on size.
- Cut veggies into bite sized pieces and add to the pan.
- Cover and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and place chicken and vegetables into a deep pie dish, leaving behind the juices.
- Mix cornflour with milk and add to juices, bringing to the boil to thicken. Add herbs and season with pepper.
- Pour sauce over chicken and veggies. Prepare pastry crust by spraying every second sheet of filo with a little oil and layering sheets on top of each other.
- Place over top of dish, scrunching up slightly. Spray with a little oil and bake until crisp and brown.
- Serve immediately